For individuals living in Blaenau Gwent County, Wales, or surrounding areas
Supporting older people (50+) living in Blaenau Gwent who are experiencing feelings of social isolation and loneliness. Volunteers provide companionship, support confidence building and encourage involvement in the local community.
- One-to-one befriending – delivered in the person’s home
- Community buddying – providing support to engage in community activities through guidance around venue locations, transport options and initial accompaniment to activities where required
- The establishment of volunteer-led group activities in community settings, identified through individual needs, interests, and gaps in existing services.
You can find out more and register your interest in the role below.
- Engagement with one or more residents one-to-one and/or in group settings
- Travel within Blaenau Gwent County Borough
- Use of IT for community information searches and for communication with your Engagement Manager
- Reporting back to your Engagement Manager in writing and verbally, as required.
- Good listening and communication skills, with understanding of confidentiality
- Empathy and compassion
- Awareness of, and adherence to, Volunteering Matters values
- Facilitation skills if opting for group activity facilitator.
As a volunteer, you will receive:
- Travel expenses for journeys undertaken in the course of volunteering activities
- Training at induction and ongoing supervision and support from your Engagement Manager
- Insurance related to the volunteering activities undertaken
- Role satisfaction, personal development skills and experience.