We’re looking for enthusiastic, committed, and creative volunteers to support groups and activities we run for over-50s at community venues in the city: exercise groups, arts/crafts, music, singing dancing, games and quizzes. Or an idea of your own – we’re always looking to try new activities. The sessions can be weekly, fortnightly, monthly or ad-hoc.
As an Activity Support volunteer, you will help volunteers and staff run sessions, supporting those that attend and making them feel welcome and encouraging them to participate in the activity.
We are looking for someone who likes engaging with people, loves a chat and is happy to help others. You need to be positive, compassionate, open-minded, show respect, have fun building relationships, helping to build our member’s confidence.
Find out more below and register your interest.
- Support the Activity Lead or staff to deliver a group activity on an agreed schedule
- Set up and pack away the activity
- Help promote the activity locally
- Interact with attendees, being friendly and making them feel welcome, especially those that may be nervous attending for the first time
- Record attendance details, application forms and collect any activity donations to be safely passed to Lifeline staff
- Be aware of different support needs of your attendees
- Be aware of any safeguarding issues that might arise and report any concerns
- Comply with Volunteering Matters policies and procedure.
- An interest in working with older people
- An ability to provide encouragement and support in a sensitive and caring manner, to people from a variety of backgrounds
- Flexibility and able to use own initiative
- Good levels of reliability, and timekeeping
- An ability to maintain confidentiality
- Enjoy being part of a team
- Communicating with a range of people
- Be contactable by telephone and/or email
- Commit to volunteering for a period of at least 4 months
- Provide two references.
As a volunteer, you will receive:
- Full training for the role
- Regular support and guidance from the Lifelines team
- We will also provide you with technical support and advice as required
- Reimbursement for all out-of-pocket expenses
- Opportunities to meet and socialise with other volunteers
- The chance to use your skills and experience to improve the lives of others
- A reference confirming the contribution you have made.
Lifelines project in Brighton brings together people aged 50+ both as volunteers running activities and as participants in the wide range of volunteer-run activities.