We’re looking for compassionate and committed volunteers to help older people get to health appointments. Getting to important appointments can be difficult for some. They may not want to burden family or friends, who may be unable to help or not live locally.
Your role is to accompany them, providing support – on foot, bus, taxi or patient transport. Wait outside during the visit or sit in and take notes as a reminder.
Your support can help them maintain their wellbeing – whilst reducing missed appointments. This is a rewarding, flexible role suitable for someone who cannot make regular weekly commitments.
Find out more below and register your interest.
- Contacting the person needing to confirm arrangements
- Meet them at their home and accompany them to and from the appointment
- Support and reassure them
- Wait outside during the appointment, or go in with them and take same basic notes as reminders to leave with them when they get home
- Be aware of different support needs of those you are helping
- Be aware of any safeguarding issues that might arise and report any concerns
- Comply with Volunteering Matters policies and procedure.
- An interest in working with older people
- Ability to provide encouragement and support in a sensitive and caring manner, to people from a variety of backgrounds
- Flexibility and able to use own initiative
- Good levels of organisation, reliability, and timekeeping
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Be contactable by telephone and/or email
- Commit to volunteering for a period of at least 4 months
- Provide two references.
As a volunteer, you will receive:
- Full training for the role
- Regular support and guidance from the Lifelines team
- We will also provide you with technical support and advice as required
- Reimbursement for all out-of-pocket expenses
- Opportunities to meet and socialise with other volunteers
- The chance to use your skills and experience to improve the lives of others
- A reference confirming the contribution you have made.
Lifelines project in Brighton brings together people aged 50+ both as volunteers running activities and as participants in the wide range of volunteer-run activities.