For volunteers aged 50+ in Wolverhampton and surrounding areas
Grandmentors is an innovative volunteering project where older volunteers use their lifetime of skills and experience to support and mentor young people leaving the care system. These young people who are out of employment, education or training (NEET) often need a guiding hand and role model to support them to find work, continue their education or begin training – ultimately giving them the skills and self-belief to lead successful and independent lives.
Volunteers meet with a young person each week to boost their confidence and work towards goals, which are unique to each young person. Volunteers support where they can to help these young care leavers find their feet and reach their full potential.
Being a Grandmentor is also a valuable way for you to gain or develop on your own skills too. Such as improved communication, patience, gain confidence in yourself, leadership, relationship building, providing constructive feedback and problem solving.
Find out more about the opportunity below and apply.
- Meet with a young person once per week/fortnightly
- Regular check in where a meet up in person is not possible
- Provide emotional support and be the trusted figure in their life
- Provide advice and guidance around housing and finance, education employment and training and health and wellbeing. This is varied and dependent on the young person’s needs. Example can be help with budgeting or building positive relationships with peers.
- Good communicator
- A willingness to help others
- Willing to share life experiences.
- Aged 50+
- DBS (criminal record) check will be performed
- Long-term commitment required (min. one year)
- Resident in Wolverhampton.
As a volunteer you’ll receive:
- Full training plus ongoing support from the Project Coordinator
- Invitations to organisation events throughout the year e.g. during care leavers week, cooking sessions with young people, social events with other volunteers etc.
Our award-winning Grandmentors programme transforms the lives of young adults through the emotional and practical support of our older, world-wise volunteers.