We’re seeking Telephone Befriender to support a lonely and isolated people in Merthyr Tydfil, Rhondda Cynon Taf, Newport, Pembrokeshire and Flintshire during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Volunteers are needed to provide some telephone company for people who are self-isolating and unable to leave their home as a direct result of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Many of these people are already recognised as those at high risk in society; this could be due to a range of factors, including age or a pre-existing medical condition.
Your role will enable people to maintain contact with the outside world, helping them to feel less lonely, improving their mental health and wellbeing, and making sure they stay connected during the pandemic.
We’ll provide training, ongoing support, third party liability insurance and out of pocket expenses, including travel costs.
What will this involve?
As a telephone befriender you’ll be:
- Making regular telephone calls to matched beneficiaries
- Making good conversation, keeping it light and listening intently
- Keeping a log of any relevant discussion points – highlighting any concerns
- Signposting to other help, if appropriate
- Keeping a check on activities and regularly letting us know how it’s going
How do i know if i’m right for the role?
We’re looking for people who have
- Access to a telephone
- Good listening and communication skills
- Empathy and compassion
- Understanding of confidentiality
- Strong sense of social responsibility