For individuals in Stockton-on-Tees or surrounding areas
As a Volunteer Driver you will offer your time to transport a diverse client group using your own vehicle. Our client group includes passengers who will be referred through community groups and local organisations or statutory services.
Journeys are mostly local and offer a lifeline for passengers to access services and activities that could improve both their physical and mental health and well-being including medical appointments and social groups. Journeys may be requested to ‘out of area’ hospitals such as James Cook and Hartlepool Hospitals. This role is flexible, and you can volunteer as often or as little as you are able to. It is hoped that you will be able to commit to 2-3 hours per week for a minimum of 3 months.
The flexibility of the volunteer role means you will be encouraged to engage with an online booking system, allowing you to choose the most convenient and efficient journeys to suit your commitment. There will be a member of staff from Volunteering Matters overseeing the journey bookings and updating passenger requests.
For more information, and to register an interest, please explore this page.
- Offering lifts in your own vehicle to passengers registered to the service
- Using an accessible, online booking system to select journeys suitable for you
- Updating journey logs where required
- Attending and receiving appropriate training to your role, for example safeguarding, confidentiality and disability awareness
- Maintain good communication with project staff
- Sign a Volunteer Agreement confirming commitment Volunteering Matters policies and understanding Volunteering Matters commitment to you and your requirements as a volunteer
- Complete a DBS check relevant to your role
No prior volunteer driver experience required, however you will require:
- Use of a vehicle you have permission to drive
- A current valid driving licence
- Insurance and MOT certificate
It is hoped that you will have:
- Ability to use an online booking system, either through a computer or smartphone
- Supervisory support from project staff
- Access to an online booking system for ease of journey request
- Mileage expenses at 45p per mile plus 5p per passenger
- Training appropriate to your role, for example safegaurd, disability and confidentiality awareness
- Risk assessment
- DBS check relevant to your role
- A Volunteer Agreement to mutually confirm our commitments to each other