We’re looking for enthusiastic and committed volunteers, comfortable using technology, to support those needing help to use modern phones/devices.
As a Tech Tutor volunteer you will help people make video calls, search the internet, use online services, play games or join online activities.
You will support people in community spaces with a one-off session or a series of weekly 1-to-1 sessions, and/or at one of our regular Tea & Tech drop-ins. You need to be positive, compassionate, and enjoy helping build people’s confidence.
- Contacting the person needing help and planning the support required, and then supporting them to achieve their goals
- Scheduling and carrying out weekly support sessions
- Logging details of your sessions
- Be aware of different support needs of those you are supporting
- Be aware of any safeguarding issues that might arise and report any concerns
- Comply with Volunteering Matters policies and procedure.
- An interest in working with older people
- An ability to provide encouragement and support in a sensitive and caring manner, to people from a variety of backgrounds
- Flexibility and able to use own initiative
- Good levels of self-organisation, reliability, and timekeeping
- An ability to maintain confidentiality
- Confidence in using technology – you do not need to be an expert, but should be confident to look things up when needed
- Communicating effectively with a range of people
- Be contactable by telephone and/or email
- Commit to volunteering for a period of at least 4 months
- Provide two references.
- Full training for the role
- Regular support and guidance from the Lifelines team
- We will also provide you with technical support and advice as required
- Reimbursement for all out-of-pocket expenses
- Opportunities to meet and socialise with other volunteers
- The chance to use your skills and experience to improve the lives of others
- A reference confirming the contribution you have made.