For volunteers usually aged 50+ in Midlothian
Grandmentors is an award-winning, inter-generational mentoring programme. We recruit, train and support Volunteer Mentors (normally but not exclusively those aged 50+) and match them with young people aged 16-26 who are care experienced or who are facing other life challenges or barriers.
Mentors are people with a range of life skills and experiences, who have some time to regularly meet 1:1 with a young person, offering valuable emotional, practical, and social support.
Mentors mentors help young people navigate the transition to independence into adulthood, by guiding them through life skills such as managing finances, accessing employment, education and training, and supporting their health and wellbeing.
Find out more about the opportunity below and apply.
- Regularly meet 1:1 with a young person, offering bespoke support and guidance
- Support young people to move forward in life, enhancing health and wellbeing, develop life skills and/or support to access Education, Employment or Training
- Normally volunteers commit to 2-3 hours per week or fortnight.
- Good people skills, able to build a positive and empowering relationship with a young person
- Good communication skills
- Good organisation skills
- Life skills
- Patient, commitment, determination and resilience.
As a volunteer, you will receive:
- Full induction and ongoing training opportunities
- All ongoing support provided by a dedicated staff member
- All travel expenses, and general costs
- The chance and opportunity to give back your local community
- A sense of satisfaction from supporting a care experienced young person to move forward in life and achieve their goals and ambitions
- Opportunities to take part in volunteer social events and get-togethers.
Our award-winning Grandmentors programme transforms the lives of young adults through the emotional and practical support of our older, world-wise volunteers.