The Welcome Friends Project was set up eight years ago aiming to tackle loneliness and isolation in the older community with 1-1 befriending in the home by volunteers. Since the Coronavirus pandemic began, we also have Telephone Befriending volunteers who ring once or twice a week. We now have a need for volunteers to write postcards or letters twice a month to lonely, isolated people who are unable to use the telephone service or would like the added support of receiving letters.
We are looking for volunteers who can offer supportive relationships to people who would otherwise be socially isolated. Your commitment will be appreciated. and we will let you know the difference you have made.
- Have good communication skills
- Have empathy and compassion
- Have an awareness of confidentiality and boundaries
- Be committed to writing a letter twice a month
- Over 18
- Be willing to have a criminal record check (DBS)
WHAT WE PROVIDE
As a volunteer you’ll receive:
- Induction and safeguarding training
- Future reference
- Ongoing support
- Out of pocket expenses, including postage costs
- Opportunities for involvement in events and social activities
Contact Rhian on 07823 413283 or Diane on 07788 310445