About the opportunity
Welcome Friends Blaenau Gwent is a project aimed at helping socially isolated, lonely people who are aged 50+. We do this through arranging home visits and encouraging people to become involved in social activities. All volunteers are trained and supported by Welcome Friends staff.
Volunteers cover a wide variety of roles within Welcome Friends throughout Blaenau Gwent. Some volunteers make weekly home visits to isolated individuals and encourage them to take part in a social activity. Others help organise and run social activities in community settings such as sheltered accommodation, day centres or libraries.
- Good listening skills
- Interested in working with older people and an understanding of the problems they face
- Be able to provide the names of two independent referees whom they have known for at least two years
- Over 18
- Be willing to have a criminal record check (DBS)
What we provide
As a volunteer you’ll receive:
- Induction training, short informal training sessions and on-going support
- Travel expenses to your placement or activity
- Opportunities for involvement in events and social activities