Active Volunteering Essex recruits Volunteer Mentors to support adults with learning disabilities and mental health issues in the local areas of Harlow, Brentwood, Basildon, Rochford, Rayleigh and Castle Point. People are referred by various routes who are ready to be supported and who wish to volunteer themselves in their local communities.
Weekly visits are made to the beneficiaries building a strong relationship based on trust and respect. You might be giving support in beneficiaries’ homes – visiting them for 2 hours weekly to support them to in household chores/organisation; you might provide support to attend their place of work and/or education; or simply help look for/attend a local social group to help hone socialising skills.
By improving self-esteem, confidence and well-being our volunteers help reduce isolation, increase independence and lessening reliance on social care services.
- Must complete a criminal record check (DBS) (free to the volunteer)
- No specialised training or, experience required but must a have a genuine desire to support others in their communities who need them.
- Minimum age is 18.
- Must be available for a minimum of 6 months.
- Availability for 2 whole days of training – out of pocket expenses reimbursed, lunch provided.
WHAT WE PROVIDE
As a volunteer you’ll receive:
- A 2 day induction and on-going support from a named person.
- Attendance certificate on completion of Induction Training.
- Out of pocket expenses, remember to keep all your receipts – car mileage paid at .45p per mile
- Get togethers with other Community volunteer Mentors.