About volunteering opportunity
Active Volunteering Barnet is a disability supported volunteering programme in the London Borough of Barnet, which empowers adult volunteers with a learning disability, physical disability, sensory impairment or long term physical or mental health condition, to engage in volunteering roles tailored to their skills, interests, access requirements, and goals for the future.
This role sees the volunteer to support and engage with individuals with learning difficulties or physical disabilities so they feel prepared and comfortable at their volunteering placements. This volunteer will actively encourage and support the person to volunteer in their community, meet new people and try new activities. This may include travel training so the person feels comfortable travelling on public transport independently. As well as reviewing individuals goals and personal development by recording progress and evaluation. This volunteer would also help support individuals in their learning within training sessions preparing them for their volunteering. This role would be a mixture of supporting individuals in their volunteering as well as supporting the smooth running of the project through administrative support. We would hope that the volunteer is capable of building strong relationships with people with disabilities so that they trust and rely on you, making you best placed to help the supported volunteers get the most out of their time with the project.
- Aged 18-35
- 6-12 month commitment
- 20-30 hours a week
- Living locally or nearby to Barnet
- Prepared to commit and engage in training sessions
- Interest in supporting people with disabilities, desire to learn more.
- Empathy/person centred approach, problem solving skills, independent and has determination
- Desire to learn and develop new skills
What we provide
- One to one personal support provided by Supervisor and Volunteer Manager
- Induction and training
- Volunteering expenses including travel
- Volunteer socials
- Record of achievement of volunteering through certificate and reference summary