Sporting Chance Rhondda Cynon Taff engages men and women aged 50+, living in the area, in social and activity groups. During lockdown we have adapted our activities and currently offer:
- Online Chair Exercise over 50s – low impact chair exercise to improve mobility and balance, strengthening joints and muscles. No previous experience needed.
- Walk and Talk over 50s – enjoying walking in your free time? Then why not join our online community who also enjoy walking and make new friends, learn health tips, post your photos, and chat over a cuppa?
- Marauders Men’s Health RCT – a group walking experience with men over 50 in the Llantrisant area. We offer walks for all levels of fitness. Just choose the walking scale that suits you! Come along whatever your fitness level and find new friends and support.
Outside of Covid activities can include indoor kurling, board games, jigsaws and walking groups, and will welcome men and women aged 50 and over regardless of their fitness level.
Some of our participants were lonely and isolated, others at a loose end and bored after bereavement or retirement. Collectively all of them were looking for ‘something to do’. Our activities make a difference: participants report weight loss, reduced medication, improved mood, improved mobility or an overall increased sense of wellbeing.
Sporting Chance RCT is supported by the Welsh Government’s Healthy and Active Fund, managed by Volunteering Matters and run in partnership with Be Active RCT.
- Commitment to attend one or more of the regular ‘Sporting Chance’ groups
- May need a criminal record check (DBS)
- Interest or experience with working with older men
- Potential interest in reminiscence
- To be aged 50 +
- Able to provide two references
WHAT WE PROVIDE
As a volunteer you’ll receive:
- An induction as well as other training and on-going support.
- Out of pocket expenses.