We have launched Sporting Chance Birmingham, specifically for ex-servicemen aged 50+. There’s something for everyone – no matter what level of fitness – from walking football to healthy cooking classes, reminiscence sessions and much more.
Sporting Chance Birmingham inspires veterans to engage in fun sporting activities and social groups, in order to improve their health and well-being.The project is a partnership between Volunteering Matters and The Royal British Legion.
Activities take place every Tuesday at Villa Park, Birmingham. The sessions are delivered in partnership with the Aston Villa Foundation
The project is looking for men, not only to participate but to volunteer to help drive and support the project and its activities, to ensure that Sporting Chance Birmingham is a sustainable project.
Volunteers are involved in meeting and greeting new participants, supporting the project delivery staff, assisting with organising and running activities, making refreshments, helping to promote the project, and assisting with future plans.
- Commitment to attend one or more of the regular Sporting Chance groups
- May need a criminal record check (DBS)
- Interest or experience with working with men over the age of 50
- Potential interest in reminiscence
- An understanding of the barriers and difficulties faced by ex-servicemen
- Able to provide two references
- Resident in Birmingham or nearby area
WHAT WE PROVIDE
As a volunteer you’ll receive:
- An induction as well as other appropriate training
- Out of pocket expenses
- Continued support throughout the volunteering role