Knowledge Equals Opportunities (KEO) aims to empower families with primary aged children to take more of an active role in their child’s education. Working predominantly with beneficiaries who are new to the UK, Volunteering Matters recruits and fully trains volunteers to deliver programmes and support to families in Ipswich, to create improved conditions for learning.
‘Staying Safe Online’ is an interactive toolkit developed for use in Ipswich Primary Schools for students aged 9-11 years old. KEO volunteers support pupils to design a presentation about online safety, which they then deliver to their parents on the last week of the programme. The aim of the presentations are to reinforce learning whilst raising parental awareness of the risks that come with being online.
Staff from Suffolk Police often join in with the presentations, talking to parents/carers about practical ways in which they can support their child to stay safe online, answering questions and providing them with access to further information.
- Over 18 years old
- Available for one day induction training
- Able and willing to commit to minimum 10 weeks volunteering, including training
- Willing to complete a criminal record check (DBS)
- Resident in local area
- Able to provide 2 References
- An interest in working with families and children
- Ability to connect with children aged 10 – 12 years
- Able to commit regularly to volunteering during school hours and occasional evening
- Bilingual (not essential)
- Awareness and knowledge of online safety
WHAT WE PROVIDE
As a volunteer you’ll receive:
- A paid-for criminal record check (DBS)
- Full training for Safeguarding and Child Sexual Exploitation
- Ongoing support from project staff and regular contact with project manager
- Third-party liability insurance
- Out of pocket expenses, including travel costs
- Future references
- Review and reflection at end of placement
If ‘Staying Safe Online’ sounds like something you can help with, get in touch with the team or apply below.
01473 418035 OR EMAIL