About the opportunity
The Welcome Friends project is looking for volunteers for this wide-ranging befriending project for socially isolated, lonely people who are over 50. Volunteers make weekly home visits and give encouragement to help them engage in a social activity of their choice. Volunteers also help at lunch clubs, craft and social groups in community settings such as sheltered accommodation and day centres.
There are many different roles for volunteers within the project, and we are particularly seeking group organisers who may be interested in taking on an existing group in order to help the project branch out elsewhere, or even set up a new one based around their own interests.
- Kindness, patience, listening skills, reliability and an hour or two to spare every week
- Must undergo a criminal record check (DBS) and provide two references for charity membership
- No experience necessary, but it may be an advantage
- Ability to carry out activity alone
What we provide
As a volunteer you’ll receive:
- A full project induction, either one-to-one, or with other volunteers
- Mileage / travel expenses
- Encouragement and support to take up local training opportunities which relate to your volunteering role
- Support from your local staff member or organiser
Updated from our Cardiff office to keep you in touch with Volunteering Matters activities elsewhere in Wales.