ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
Active Volunteering Hackney is a project which empowers adult volunteers with a learning disability, on the autistic spectrum and physical disabilities to engage in volunteering roles tailored to their skills, interests, accessibility requirements, and goals for the future.
Crucial to our work are volunteer Community Mentors; who provide practical, social and mentoring support to our volunteers, helping them overcome barriers to achieving their goals. Perhaps you have largely overcome or found ways to work around the barriers associated with a disability yourself, or are seeking to gain experience in support work?
As a Community Mentor you would play a valuable role in fostering a person’s independence, development of confidence and sense of purpose. You work with your mentee towards shared goals, offering simple practical support, while developing your own skills as a befriender, mentor and enabler.
Tasks may include:
- Give 1:1 long term support to another volunteer, enabling them to access a joint volunteer placement, based on your mutual interests.
- Support the running of a group volunteer project for supported volunteers.
- 1:1 ongoing support meetings with one or more mentee volunteers, to support them in progressing towards their personal development goals.
- Support the delivery of learning disability accessible training programmes including ‘Preparing to Volunteer’ and skills development workshops
- No specialised experience or training required, but you must have a genuine desire to support others in overcoming the barriers associated with disabilities and long term health conditions, enabling them to contribute to their communities through volunteering
- Personal attributes: empathy, self awareness, patience, reliability and consistency, warmth, a clear communicator, committed to building trust and fostering independence.
- Committed to volunteering for a minimum of two hours per week, for a minimum of three months.
- Resident in Hackney; or the surrounding area
- Willing to complete a criminal record check (DBS)
- Available for one day Induction training
- Over 18 years old.
WHAT WE PROVIDE
As a volunteer, you’ll receive:
- One day Induction training and access to on-going training and development specific to your role
- Personal development plan to support you to achieve personal goals through your volunteering (optional)
- Out of pocket expenses
- Volunteer Socials: monthly opportunities to socialise with other Community Mentors and supported volunteers, and become part of our community