The Clackmannanshire Befriending Project involves volunteers who befriend vulnerable and disadvantaged children and young people in the local area. With social isolation, inequality and child poverty on the rise, the need for befrienders to provide a reliable, trusting and positive role model is higher than ever.
Volunteers are recruited and fully trained before being matched one-to-one with a young person in Clackmannanshire. Together, the volunteer and young person participate in “outings” in the community on a regular basis.
Volunteers pass on their skills and experience as well as providing the young person with a few hours of fun. A victim of circumstance, the young person may have experienced difficulties in their lives such as isolation, problems at home or disability. By giving up a couple of hours on a regular basis, you could make a real difference where it is needed most.
- Minimum commitment of 2-3 hours every fortnight for a 12 month period
- Must complete comprehensive volunteer training package (16 hours)
- Must be, or apply to become a member of the PVG scheme (handled and paid for by the project)
- No qualifications or experience needed, however a strong interest and enthusiasm for working with young people is essential
- Must be at least 18 years of age
What we provide
As a volunteer you’ll receive:
- All induction and on-going training
- 100% help and support from the projects Volunteer Manager
- All out of pocket expenses including mileage
- Access to other training and development opportunities within the sector
- Access to volunteer social events
- Excellent ‘real world’ experience in the social care/health/education/youth work sectors
- A certificate of your achievements after 12 months
- A reference from staff after 6 months’ commitment