About the opportunity
Welcome Friends Pembrokeshire is a befriending service for socially isolated, lonely people who are over 50. Volunteers make weekly home visits for a limited time (up to 12 weeks) after which support is provided to help them engage in a social activity of their choice. Volunteers also help at lunch clubs, craft and social groups in community settings such as sheltered accommodation and day centres
We recruit, train and support volunteers to prepare them for home visiting. They will make weekly visits in a local area to help introduce new interests to older people and rebuild their confidence.
- Kindness, patience, listening skills, reliability and an hour or two to spare every week
- Must undergo a criminal record check (DBS) and provide two references for charity membership
- No experience necessary, but it may be an advantage
- Ability to carry out activity alone
What we provide
As a volunteer you’ll receive:
- A full project induction, either one-to-one, or with other volunteers
- Mileage / travel expenses
- Encouragement and support to take up local training opportunities which relate to your volunteering role
- Support from your local staff member or organiser
- Updated from our Cardiff office to keep you in touch with Volunteering Matters activities elsewhere in Wales.