ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
Active Volunteering is a partnership with Reach based in Newport and Blackwood.
We are currently looking for volunteers to support people to engage more in their local community and to live as independently as possible, whatever challenges they face. While volunteering with the project, you will support either adults with a learning disability or older people int he areas of Newport or Blackwood.
- Befrienders give approximately 4 hours per week and spend time with someone who might be lonely or need someone to talk to. Sometimes they might go to someone’s house for a coffee and a chat, they might go out on day trips or give them the confidence to attend a group or class.
- Volunteer befrienders are normally friendly, resilient, good listeners, and able to help people without taking on their worries themselves.
The kind of things you can expect to do are:
- Helping people to settle into local groups and activities, so that they can make new friends.
- Befriending someone in their home, offering them emotional support.
- Running a small group in the community based on local interests and hobbies.
- Helping someone to access local volunteering opportunities and encouraging them to do the role independently.
WHAT WE PROVIDE
Whether you are a student, unemployed, retired or just looking for a short or long term placement, then this could be the opportunity for you.
- Seek references and carry out a confidential DBS (criminal records) check;
- Find a suitable local placement based on your individual circumstances;
- Provide appropriate training and support;
- Introduce you to other volunteers;
- Keep you in touch via our members’ network.